Our favourite events have been cancelled, our big trips postponed, and our training plan derailed. Summer is in full swing and it’s time to choose your own adventure – whether that means following a trail you’ve never rode or finding a group who shares your passion.
Since the announcement of Alert Level 2, we resumed our weekly group rides. We’d like to invite you to join us. To persuade you, here are our top reasons why you should ride with a group:
1. Riding with a group an challenge you. Riding with others can help you push yourself to go further or faster. You may be simply content to ride along at your own pace when you go out for a solo ride, but riding with a group can help push you to chase a person or group in front of you or keep up a conversation with another rider. Time and kilometers fly when you’ve got a good chat going.
2. Meet new people who share your passion. Showing up to an open group ride without a friend in tow can be intimidating, but cyclists are so enthusiastic about their love of riding that you’ll be part of the group in no time. Think about it – you already have one thing in common to start the conversation. “Nice bike” is always a great opening line.
3. Share or develop new skills. You may be a novice, an expert, or somewhere in between – but your skills or lack of skills are welcome. Riding with a group can help new riders develop skills and confidence. More experienced riders who offer advice and support are instrumental in building the cycling community.
4. Motivate you to get outside. Group rides are motivating. Knowing their is a group ride (and the possibility of ice cream or beverages after) may be just the push you need to get out the door and on your bike.
5. Safety. Not only is there safety in numbers, (no way that car didn’t notice the five cyclists riding along the roadway), but riding together in a group reinforces the rules of the road and how to safely ride together. A practice we cannot emphasize enough.
Find a Group Ride:
Mondays: A weekly group ride for women led by our Liv Cycling Ambassador, Angel McCarthy. 6:30 pm meet at Marble Mountain parking lot. Join the Facebook group liv2ridenl for updates.
Tuesdays: Group MTB ride 6:15 pm at Margaret Bowater Park upper parking lot (Ginger Route). See the Strava Group TNTeam for more info!
Thursdays: Cycle Solutions Group Road Ride for all abilities. Meet at 6:15 pm at Cycle Solutions.
Fridays: Women’s MTB Ride. See the Facebook group: Women Cycling on the West Coast of Newfoundland and Labrador for more details and meet times!